Trekking Permit, TIMS Card, Entry Fee and Necessary Documents
The most important Everest Base Camp Trek permit is TIMs Card (Trekkers’ Management Information System) and Sagarmatha National Park Entry permit which is available in the Everest region. If you are planning to visit the temples and monuments during the sightseeing tour in Kathmandu, several entry fees are applicable near the sites.
The Government of Nepal has made some changes in existing Trekkers’ Management Information System (TIMS) provisions from April 1, 2010. As per the government decision, Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) and Trekking Agencies’ Association of Nepal (TAAN) will jointly implement the TIMS.
NTB and TAAN signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on March 18, 2010 to implement the TIMS system under a new format from April 1, 2010. As per the MoU, they have introduced separate TIMS Cards for FITs and organized groups. FITs need to have Green TIMS cards by paying Nepali currency equivalent to US $20 per person, while those travelling in groups need to have Blue TIMS cards by paying Nepali currency equivalent to US $10 per person. Trekkers taking the service of trekking agencies can pay fee for TIMS card in US dollar.
Similarly, TAAN and NTB have started distributing new TIMS cards for trekkers from the SAARC region effective from October 15, 2012. FITs from SAARC countries can get the pink-colored TIMS card by paying US$6, while group trekkers can get the card by paying US$3 or equivalent Nepali currency.
Where and how to obtain a TIMS Card
Free Individual Trekkers:
Free Individual Trekkers can obtain TIMS cards at the offices of Nepal Tourism Board in Kathmandu and Pokhara, TAAN Secretariat at Maligaon and TAAN Pokhara Secretariat in Pokhara upon filling the TIMS application firm.
Trekking companies will collect trekkers’ data and enter it in the central database and will provide trekkers with a TIMS card after paying the fee prescribed above.
TIMS Card is compulsory to trek in all the trekking areas in the country. However, TIMS cards aren’t required for following:
- Expedition members with mountaineering permits issued by the government and Nepal Mountaineering Association.
- Visitors to controlled areas having permits issued by the Department of Immigration
- Foreign guests invited by the Government of Nepal
- Authorities from the various diplomatic missions present in the country, who hold official letter/s and travel at their own risk
- Visitors on certain missions recommended by the concerned Governmental Department(s)
- Foreign Nationals possessing a residential visa.
- TIMS counter at TAAN follows regular working hours (10am-5pm) and 365 days a year
- NTB Offices follow government working hours and days.
- Trekking agencies open 12 hours a day seven days a week.
To obtain TIMS Card you need copy of:
- Two (2) Passport-size Photographs.